Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Mexican Dish! & also a few things I made in the crock pot

It's been another busy week here in the Garrison-Hickman household.  The girls have been running around, still non-stop, since my last post.

Kaydon came to stay the night on Thursday night & stayed all day Friday too.  He got ahold of my camera and out of the 100 or so pictures he took, this one was the only one worth keeping.
He kept me super busy for the day....but we love when that little man comes to hang out with us.  Having an active day just comes with the territory.  :)

So, I tried my hand at a Mexican dish this week in addition to a couple other things.  It turned out GREAT.... taste-wise....the Enchiladas, aesthetically, could have used some work.

This Week's Dinner Menu:  



Thursday - I tried my hand at 3 Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Tacos (I can't seem to find the link anywhere on my Pinterest boards ::sigh::)

Sunday - Cheesy Chicken & Rice in the crock pot



SOUR CREAM ENCHILADAS

Ingredients:

5 Corn Tortillas
Canola Oil
1 - 10 oz can Enchilada Sauce
1 cup Sour Cream
1 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne
Directions:

Mix together the Sour Cream, half of the Cheese, Cumin & Cayenne.  Heat the Oil in a skillet over Medium heat and the Enchilada Sauce in a separate skillet over Medium Low heat.  Use tongs to fry the Tortillas for 5 secs on each side then dunk 'em in the warmed Enchilada Sauce.  Lay each Tortilla flat on a plate, spoon 2-3 spoonfuls right in the middle of the Tortilla & roll 'em up.  Place Enchiladas face down in an 8x8 baking dish & cover them with the remaining Cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 mins or until the Cheese is nice and bubbly.
So, the Enchiladas tasted great.....but they fell completely apart once they were removed from the baking dish.  ::sigh:: Will try again soon...I've heard they're tough to get perfect.



MEXICAN STUFFED SHELLS

Ingredients:

1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1 package Taco Seasoning
4 oz Cream Cheese
11 Jumbo Pasta Shells
1 1/2 cups Salsa
1 cup Taco Sauce
1 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
Sour Cream, for garnish
Directions:

Brown the Ground Beef, add the Taco Seasoning & prepare according to the package instructions (this usually only consists of adding 2 cups of water).  Add the Cream Cheese & simmer until completely melted.  Blend well, remove from heat & set aside.  Cook the Pasta Shells according to package instructions & drain.  Set the Pasta Shells out on a baking sheet so that they're not touching.  Pour Salsa on the bottom of your baking dish.  Stuff each Shell with the meat mixture & place open side up in the baking dish.  
We used the leftover meat mixture & sour cream mixture from the Enchiladas to make a Nacho Appetizer while everything cooked.  

Pour the Taco Sauce over the shells, cover with foil &  bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins.  After 30 mins, sprinkle the Shredded Cheddar Cheese over the top of the shells and cook for an additional 15 mins, uncovered. 
I have to say the Enchiladas and Stuffed Shells were ALOT of work but man were they worth it.  I'm excited that I made good Mexican food.  :)



SLOW COOKER PARMESAN HONEY PORK 

Ingredients:

2 Pork Steaks
2/3 cup Shredded Parmesan, Asiago & Romano Cheese Mix (I didn't have straight up Parmesan Cheese in stock)
1/2 cup Honey
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Basil
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
Directions:

Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick Cooking Spray & place your Pork Steaks in the crock pot.  Combine all other ingredients in a bowl & pour over the Pork Steaks.  Cook on Low for 6 hours.
Look at that smokey goodness  :)



MUSTARD & WHITE WINE POTATO SLICES

Ingredients:

4 Russet Potatoes, sliced
3 spoonfuls Spicy Brown Mustard
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 clove Minced Garlic
3 tbsp White Wine
1 tsp Salt
Side note:  I originally bought Fingerling Potatoes to use for this recipe....but I guess they don't stay good in the fridge for very long.  I bought them on Sunday and when I went to cook them on Tuesday, they were green.  :(  That's OK....I'll stick to regular ol' Russet Potatoes any day.  Another side note:  I'm probably the only person that purchased a slicer so I won't cut myself AND STILL END UP CUTTING MY FINGER RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE.

Directions:

Whisk together all ingredients but the potatoes.  Add your Potato Slices to the same bowl and toss 'em til they're all coated in the mixture.  Lay Potato Slices on a foil lined baking sheet & cook at 425 degrees for 30 mins.
 I love potato slices.



3 INGREDIENT CROCK POT CHICKEN TACOS

Ingredients:

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salsa
Taco Seasoning
Directions:

Blend (or just mix if you prefer chunky salsa) the Salsa & Taco Seasoning until the chunks are no more.  Our usual Salsa wasn't in stock when I went to the store so I had to improvise for the sake of Chris' "texture issues".  :)  Place the Chicken Breasts in the crock pot & pour the Salsa mixture over the top.  Cook on Low for 6 hours.  I forgot to take a picture of the final product.  We made tacos with flour tortillas, shredded cheese & sour cream this night.  Then made Street Tacos with the leftovers & corn tortillas on Fri night.  Mmm mmm mmm....will definitely be making this again.  :)



CHEESY CHICKEN & RICE (in the crockpot)

Ingredients:

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Rice
2 cups Cheddar Cheese
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Whole Kernel Corn
Directions:

Place Chicken Breasts in the crock pot and cover with Cream of Chicken Soup. Cook on High for 4 hours.  About 30 mins before the cooking time is up, cook Rice according to package directions.  Add Rice, Corn & Cheese to the crock pot and mix it all together til the Cheese is melted.
YUM YUM YUM!  This was so good!  Using extra Cheese was definitely a good move.  :)

Well, that's all we had for this week.  I can't say enough times how proud I am of myself for trying a Mexican dish too.  This cooking thing is getting to be kinda fun!  :)

Until next time......


-Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment